What is Hot Fusion?
There are quite a few names for Hot Fusion, which can be confusing even for hairstylists. One client may ask for Fusion or Hot Fusion, the next may ask for U-Tip, while they are all the same thing. The term “Hot Fusion” is commonly used as it’s different from “Cold Fusion” which does not use any heat. See our article here for Cold Fusion aka Microbead aka I-Tip!
Hot Fusion is also referred to as “Fusion” or “U-Tip”. U-Tip is named as such because the bonds come in a U shape to capture the hair.
How does Hot Fusion work?
Hot Fusion are small pieces of hair with a keratin bond on the top. Fusion must be installed by a licensed professional, as a poor application can mean severe hair breakage and discomfort.
Your Stylist will do a thorough consultation with you to determine the colour, length, and weight of hair you want. It is very important to make clear to your Stylist exactly the style you want as once the bonds are in it is very difficult and time consuming to change. They will section your hair piece by piece to safely place the bonds.
The Stylist will melt the top of the keratin bond with a special fusion tool, then will take a small section of your own hair and “roll” the bond onto the hair. It is very important the stylist rolls the piece thin, chunky keratin bonds mean excess weight on your hair and uncomfortable pieces of glue.Check out this video by our girl Samantha from @InstantBeautyHairExtensions to see the process.
How long does it take?
This process can take anywhere from 30 minutes to 5 hours depending on the amount of hair installed.
How long does it last?
Hot Fusion is one of the most long lasting semi-permanent hair extensions. You will typically need to remove the bonds after 4-6 months. Be sure to ask your Stylist what they recommend, they will be able to tell from your hair type how often you should come in. For those with extremely fine hair they may come in sooner to ensure no damage.
The reason Fusion can last so long is the bonds are very secure and do not slip as much as other extensions. This means the hair bond grows out with your own hair, so if your hair grows 1” in 2 months, the hair bonds will now be 1” further down your hair. Once the fusion starts to become visible from growing out so much it is advised to book a removal.
Can I customize a look for my Fusion?
Yes! Hot Fusion can be blended with other colours to give you a variety of styles. If your Stylist is very experienced with Fusion they can even “melt” two different colours together into one bond to give a gorgeously subtle balayage look.
How can I style my hair with Fusion?
Fusion is fantastic for the variety of styles you can rock with it! As the bonds are so small and very hidden, you can rock most of your normal styles, even ponytails. The only drawback is making sure you style your hair in a way that you can’t see the bonds, but your Stylist should always be applying them at least one inch away from your hairline to make sure this doesn’t happen. Your Stylist will also ask you where you normally part your hair to make sure no bonds sit too close to the top.
Hot Fusion should always be 100% Human Hair, be absolutely sure to ask your Stylist this. Synthetic Fusion will not last nearly as long, won’t hold heat styles, and shed much quicker.
How do I take care of Fusion?
For Fusion hair extensions there are a few important things to remember:
- Brush them out after washing using a leave in conditioner to ensure no breakage.
- Use Sulfate, Paraben, and Alcohol free shampoo & conditioner.
- Always apply a heat protector before styling.
- Never flat iron the hair after curling it. Reheating the hair after it has “set” and cooled down is very drying for extensions.
- Brush every morning and night.
- When possible wear your hair up or in braids at night.
Does Fusion damage my own hair?
As with any extension that is bonded to your own hair, there are risks involved. The largest determining factors of whether fusion will damage your hair or not is:
- Application - making sure a licensed Stylist applies and removes the bonds.
- Maintenance - following all after care from your Stylist and removing the bonds on time.
As long as you have them properly applied and take care of them, fusion will not damage your hair.
How long will my Fusion hair last?
Hot Fusion hair is normally worn once and then discarded. Some Stylists will remove the bonds and "re-bond" them with keratin if the hair is still in great shape. This often incurs a high charge for the Stylist's time, so most people choose to just buy brand new hair for a similar price.
What makes a difference in the lifespan of extensions:
- Your hair texture. If you hair is prone to dryness, it can tangle more with extensions. Be sure to apply a salon grade conditioner to your hair, and use a salon grade leave in conditioner to the ends of your hair (not the roots!).
- Extension texture (curly vs straight). Curly can appear more frizzy after extended use, so they may need to be washed more often and be sure to only use conditioner on Curly Texture Extensions.
- The extension colour. As a rule, dark extensions last longer because of minimal processing.
- How long you wear them.
- Frequency of heat styling. If you are curling, waving, flat ironing, or blowdrying your hair often, this can decrease lifespan. Be sure to always use a salon quality heat protector before heat styling!
- Frequency of washing.
- Products used on the hair. Always use salon grade products your Stylist recommends.
- For more info on how to maintain your extensions, see our Blog Post: How to take care of hair extensions!
Overall, Hot Fusion is a wonderful option for those on the go looking for a customizable hair style. The length, volume, colour, and curl can all be changed to give you the look that’s just right for you!